Diabetic Eye Screening

 As I sat down to begin my eye test I was handed a plastic eye cover, you know the type, it has a handle two holes to see through and one is covered by a plastic shutter.

I placed it open shutter to my right eye (The bad eye). The healthcare worker asked "Can you see anything?" I replied "No, not a thing!" She brought the board of letters closer, about 2 feet away, 

"What about now?" "I can just make out the shape of the board" I replied. "Well, you're not totally blind then?" Yes that's what I was told at my last Diabetes health screening! To get told "Well, you're not totally blind then?" Is an absolute disgrace, an insult and disregard of someone's feelings.

I agree, I'm not totally blind but if you were to cover one eye with bubble wrap doubled folded tell me what you can see? That's right nothing of any detail now try to write, draw, walk, pick up a cup! It's not easy.

I feel absolutely sickened to think someone can be so insensitive at a health centre and to voice their opinion in such a manner to demise ones self esteem.

The upturn of this disgusting episode I have recently been notified that there is no sign of diabetic eye disease. So that rules out the risk of sight-threatening retinopathy, but doesn't highlight why my vision in my right eye has been affected.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Losing My Sight!

Your First Artisan Makers Market

Losing your sight is devastating! It's hell on earth for an Artist!